Sonia is a performer, performance-maker and facilitator. Formally, her practice sits between theatre, dance and performance art.
Prior to ITI, Sonia completed a Bachelor of Creative Industries (Drama) with Distinction, a study in interdisciplinary practice, from Queensland University of Technology (Australia). Sonia often engages in cross-disciplinary work across the performing and visual arts realms, both locally and internationally. In 2018, she was selected as part of the Time, Place, Space: Nomad residency through Arts House (Melbourne), an action-research residency held in the Australian outback. Her solo work Hymen Instinct also toured to Taiwan as part of《女。性。诫？》Alternative Lessons for Women, a double-bill produced and performed by Sonia and fellow ITI graduate Tan Weiying for the 2018 Asia Weekend Theatre Festival (2018亞洲假日劇場戲劇節) in Taiwan.
Sonia strongly believes in collaboration as a work ethos. Currently, she is an Associate Artist with P7:1SMA, a contemporary dance company with roots in Malay philosophies, and has performed in their site-responsive works Kemas, Bantal Busuk and District 27. She is also an associate member of Dance Nucleus, a centre for practice-based research, creative development and knowledge production for independent / contemporary performance. Sonia also works regularly with children and youths; she is an experienced playmaker at Playeum, the Children's Centre of Creativity at Gillman Barracks, and has also facilitated drama/theatre workshops for schools and educational institutions.
1. Assistant Director, PLAYtime! Catch a Breath (work-in-progress) (2021, Esplanade – Theatres on the Bay's Octoburst!; Esplanade Annexe Studio)
2. Speaker, nudes.jpg dialogue (2021, T:>Works' Festival of Women N.O.W. 2021; Online)
3. Artist, nudes.jpg (virtual exhibition) (2021, T:>Works' Festival of Women N.O.W. 2021; Online)
4. Creator and actor, Hymen Instinct (2021, The Substation Septfest 2021; The Substation)
5. Performer, shadow-ing 阴影 (2021, P71:SMA / CATALYST: Studio Showing)
1. Artist interview in On Holding Space (a commemorative publication) (Object Lessons Space)
Last updated: 19 January 2022