Seng Soo Ming is an actor, director and theatre educator based in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah. After graduating from the Intercultural Theatre Institute (ITI), he collaborated with acclaimed Taiwanese director, Stan Lai in his play, The Village (2008), which toured the US, China, Singapore and Taiwan with over 200 performances. He is also a member of Traditions and Edition Theatre Circus (an international theatre company formed by the graduates of ITI from different countries).
In 2012, Soo Ming founded PITaPAT Theatre in Kota Kinabalu, as a base to develop theatre arts in Sabah and discover methods of theatre creation that combine traditional theatre elements with contemporary theatre methods - an approach and response to the training gleaned from ITI.
Soo Ming’s recent works includes Die Die Tak Bayar, Merah, An Enemy Of The People. At the Moment (2015 & 2016) and KAKAK (2016, 2017). An Enemy Of The People. At the Moment has also been performed (in its third version) in Taipei in Tua-Tiu-Tian International Festival of Arts (TTTIFA); its second version won four awards in Kuala Lumpur's 14th ADA Drama Awards (2017) including those for “Best Director” and “Best Actress”.
In 2020, he co-founded Tukang 土坑, a theatre collective that focuses on discovering new ways of deconstructing conventional performing arts creation, and creating a platform that remains borderless.
1. Speaker, Acting workshop for Young Malaysian Movement Public Speaking Club's talents (2021; Online)
2. Speaker, Director's Creative Talk Series (2021, MUKA SPACE; Online)
3. Performer, writer and director, One Hundred Days of Solitude (2021, Pitapat Theatre; Online)
4. Writer, director and actor, The Room (2021, Pitapat Theatre; Cloud Theatre)
5. Speaker, Translation & Adaptation - Navigating Languages and Cultures (2021, GroundZ-0 and Singapore Book Council; Online)
6. Instructor, Pitapat Acting Workshop Season 1 (2021, Pitapat Theatre)
Last updated: 19 January 2022