Ramith Ramesh is a Kutiyattam practitioner, theatre actor, drummer and poet from Kerala. He has been active in the arts for 17 years.
From 2008 to 2016, Ramith trained at Kerala Kalamandalam, studying up to undergraduate level in Kutiyattam, Chakyarkoothu and Sanskrit under renowned master teachers such as Padmasree Sivan Namboodiri and Guru Rama Chakyar.
His theatre experience includes work with Ariana Mnouchkine in 2016. For the screen, he has worked on two short films as assistant director. Coming to ITI has enabled Ramith to hone his skills as a performer and further his training in traditional and contemporary theatre.
As a Kutiyattam and Chakyarkoothu performer, Ramith has presented over 250 performances across India, France and Singapore, including at major national festivals such as Nila Dance and Music Festival, Shimoga Festival, Kerala Sangeetha Nataka Academy Festival, Parinithy Festival and Yoga Parv. He has taught Kutiyattam in several theatre companies in India, and has been a judge on the panel for Kerala’s state arts festivals for five years.
Ramith’s awards include the Achutha Kurup Endowment for being the top Kutiyattam student at Kerala Kalamandalam (2012–2013); the title of Natyasri for his dedication in promoting Kutiyattam (2017); and national awards Natya Sreshta Puraskar and Natwar Gopalakrishna (2017).
Read his Q&A here
1. Instructor, Traditional Form Training for Contemporary Actors workshop series (2020, Translucent Bodies)
2. Instructor, 5–day theatre workshop on Kutiyattam techniques (2021, Across The River Collective; Bangalore)
3. Instructor, Kutiyattam workshop (2021, ACS International School of Singapore; Online)
4. Instructor, Kutiyattam workshop (2021, Escuela del Actor (Actor School, Uruguay); Online)
5. Instructor, Finding the Form through 'Actions' workshop based on Kutiyattam and contemporary theatre (2021, Online)
6. Instructor, Fundamentals of Navarasa masterclass (2021, Mandala Arts)
Last updated: 22 June 2021