The UB Arts Management Summer School 2011 of the Arts Management Programme of University at Buffalo (UB), State University of New York, is a collaboration between UB and TTRP. This was the first UB Arts Management Summer School to be held outside Europe, the previous ones having taken place at the Venice Biennale (2009), Finland and Sweden (2008), and France (2007).
Two spaces in the programme were available to arts managers from Singapore. UB brought 12 postgraduate students in arts management to Singapore for 10 days in May 2011, when they considered and discussed arts management and cultural policy in Singapore and the region, in a programme co-developed by TTRP, with the theme: “The Arts and Cultural Identity in a Borderless World”. The students came not only from the USA, but also South Korea, Cambodia and Tajikistan. Speakers and instructors included:
- Benson Puah, CEO of National Arts Council and The Esplanade Co Ltd
- Tisa Ho, Executive Director, Hong Kong Arts Festival
- Tan Boon Hui, Director, Singapore Art Museum
- Dr Ruth Bereson, Director, Arts Management Programme, UB
- Alvin Tan, Artistic Director, The Necessary Stage
- Alex Au, web commentator, yawningbread.wordpress.com
- Laurence Leong, Department of Sociology, National University of Singapore
- Lysa Hong, Historian, former Senior Visiting Fellow at the National University of Singapore History Department
- Gene Sha Rudyn, Founder Keelat Theatre Ensemble, actor and director.
- Dr Kwok Kian Woon, Head Division of Sociology and Vice Dean (Academic) at Nanyang Technological University, and Board Member, TTRP
- T. Sasitharan, Director, TTRP
21–29 May 2011
Emily Hill, 11 Upper Wilkie Road
For more information: http://www.artsmanagement.buffalo.edu/summer_school/